Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Kingdom Cares, Part 2

Back in the early years of this blog I introduced you to our friends, the Sullivan's, and the beginning of their ministry in Ghana, Africa. They were beginning to raise money for a beginning project. Over the years, God has taken the willingness of Jake and Janel and grown it into so much more. 

In the last two years, it has been impressed on Jake that singular donations are great but what is needed is sustained giving. He gathered people in the Kingdom Hoops gym one morning that January and laid out the history of Kingdom Cares International and the vision for what was next. He asked us to join in giving $100 a month to this, naming it the 1200 Club. Bill and I joined and read updates throughout the year. 

A year later, we gathered again in the gym. I was full of questions but my main two were: What about women's education and other such root needs? And what about the local people, the local businesses, using local people and not always bringing in Americans to do the job that they can? (I'm sorry that these are not more elaborate or eloquent questions. I hope you get the idea.)
Right off, Jake made a laundry list of concerns that could have been straight from my brain and said those are all good things and they are not neglecting them but for him, when he goes to Ghana (and now Chad), he sees God moving him to a place where he is compelled to share the Gospel. The Gospel brings eternal change. The Gospel brings hope and peace in spite of dire circumstances. Again, needs are not ignored by any means but in meeting those needs, it is for the Gospel. This is very close to what I once heard David Platt share. (I can't even begin to direct you to where I heard that. It was a live broadcasting of some conference several years back. All I know was that I was eager to hear him speak but instead only caught this small bit while giving Luke a bath. #momlife) Back to Kingdom Cares, when I heard this, I nearly stood up and applauded. 

As for my second question, Jake shared example after example of working with the people there and the successes and failures. It was an up-close look of what is working and what needs assistance. We aren't superheroes there to swoop in and save the day. Instead we are givers, listeners, discerners and come-along-siders. 

Out on a run this week, I was lead to pray once again for Jake and the now Acts 2 Collective. Specifically I was lead to pray for wisdom for him and for those in leadership. I communicated this to him and also expressing my continuing concern that the ministry there continue to come alongside the people and that God would raise up people from within. He responded with affirmation that yes, indeed God is raising up some "unreal leaders in Africa!" 

Now I will confess something to you: In the past couple of years, I have become more outright skeptical rather than critically informed about ministries. (Again, I apologize if I'm making up words and hope you'll understand despite my vocabulary.) As I have learned more and more about what helps and what doesn't for poverty, and while it has been very good and highlights the need for better ways, the opposite has also taken root in my heart. Jake didn't point this out from my text and possibly didn't even perceive it, but the Lord revealed it to me. And here is what I was challenged to do: To pray in faith that God is directing specifically Jake and Acts 2 Collective where He wants them to be. God wants my prayers but He can certainly act without my skepticism or approval. 

I confess this to you because that's just my nasty heart. Nor will I use this as a means to sell you that this is an approved organization worthy of your dollar. 

Kingdom Cares has made a change and is now Acts 2 Collective. God is raising up leaders. God is seeing the broken. God is moving. Janel has written quite a bit recently about it all and I encourage you to read more on her blog along with the Acts 2 Collective website. I will post links below. 

Acts 2 Collective
Team Sullivan 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading. Kind comments are always welcomed!