Tuesday, October 3, 2017

What I Learned In September

At the prompting of Emily P. Freeman's blog, Chatting at the Sky, I spent some time reflecting over September. I remember it being September 17 and remarking to Bill that it already felt like we had skipped September entirely and gone straight to October. The weather has played havoc with our sensibilities in the last few weeks and the pumpkin spice latte has already made an appearance despite the fact that the real pumpkins weren't even ready in the garden. Finally, I settled down into it really being September and here are a few things I've learned this month.

  1. I've just started reading and learning about Enneagrams. While I've pulled together bits and pieces to understand myself more over the last months, discovering the enneagram has made so many things fall into place. I still don't know very much but I am eager to learn more.
  2. I finally cleaned my make-up brushes. I used this simple method from CleanMama.net and wow, what a difference! You can find little bottles of Dr. Bronner's soap in Target by the sample beauty products.
  3. I've spent enough time sitting, standing and waiting for my racers and runners to come in that I finally learned I am not a good crew person or volunteer if I don't eat. Last year I spent a long day volunteering and hardly ate. I did not enjoy my experience. I mean, I was grumpy. Last week, I waited a long day for Ben and Bill to come in from racing and then another long afternoon for them to receive their awards. I could have done a better job taking care of myself so I could take care of them. I don't think it's being selfish. It is being aware of the situation and being proactive. 
  4. I buy my bananas at Sam's Club. Bananas are generally sold by weight but Sam's sells them by bunch at $X dollars. Here's a trick I've started doing- counting how many bananas are in the bunch. Usually there are 8 but I'll look for 9. On my last visit I scored 10 bananas!
  5. I devoured Girl Waits With Gun by Amy Stewart in 3 days. It would have been less if I didn't have, laundry, cookies to bake, people to feed, etc. I heard about the book through Anne Bogel's podcast What Should I Read Next. Its my first novel in a long, long time! 
I loved putting together this little list and sharing it with you. What did you learn in September?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading. Kind comments are always welcomed!