Sunday, July 11, 2010

Heads Up Comedian

Dear God,
Ha ha, you are so funny! I was just getting ready to do up my daughter's hair for a special date night with her and her dad and me, when I discover what had been itching her scalp for the last couple of weeks. Well, as you know, I ended up not doing up her hair because I thought that might make matters worse. Then, of course, you had it all planned out that the very subject we were taking her out to talk with her about was indirectly related to what was happening in her hair. Oh, you're good.
You see, I'm very willing to remain ignorant and scared of certain parts of life. I like being comfortable. I mean, your word says that we have to be tested and stretched and have trials to become the right person and I think that's great. For the other person. But when it comes to me, did you forget that my eew factor is very low and I don't like dealing with stuff that will expose a weakness in me and I'd rather just get out of whatever situation I'm in as fast as possible?
What's that? Oh, that declaration I made many years ago about being willing to go wherever you lead me? Yeah,  I remember. I still mean it. I just didn't think it meant combing through my daughter's hair one inch at a time until 2 in the morning. This is a small thing in your eyes? Mine, too. Get it? Ha ha!
Alright, I'm done. I surrender. I was scared of lice. I was scared that I'd never be able to correctly identify what they looked like. No problem, there. I was pretty sure that was maybe the grossest thing on earth I'd have to deal with, besides the occasional mouse, or kid poop or throw-up and butchering chickens. Well, we've blasted through that, haven't we? (But please, don't throw in mice just for kicks anytime soon.) I was certain that perhaps this would be the one thing that would hinder me from reaching out to others for the sake of your Word, for their eternal security. Can we say "Oh ye of little faith!"?
I'm thankful for your timing, for your leading me through this "trial". For breaking through that barrier I had set up in my pristine world. For my mom, who answered my phone call. For my sister, who helped me. For the chance for Audrey and I to learn what being compassionate looks like (thanks Alex and Danny). For Audrey to say, that she sees Your hand in all things. (Way to one up your mom!) For Corrie Ten Boom. (read a snippet of her story here)
I rejoice that you don't want me to lack anything and you'll do whatever is necessary for me to be complete. "Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything." James 1:2-3
I'm glad that though the timing of how you arrange events challenges any good comic routine, you do not toy with me mercilessly. Simply, you are God. "For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, declares the Lord." Isaiah 55:8

And now I get the feeling that you have planned for me to go camping, in a tent, with a sleeping bags, with a campfire and all that stuff. Great. Someone direct me to the nearest camping store, please.

1 comment:

  1. My favorite camping store is definitely Sports Warehouse. It has all of the cool & quality camping supplies, but is usually cheaper than its competitors like Bass Pro & Cabela's (and Much better sales!). Think the quality of Cabela's without the extra frills and extra costs and good sales, too. I recommend supporting this store...the ones in Sioux Falls and Minneapolis areas have closed :-(.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading. Kind comments are always welcomed!