Monday, August 27, 2012

I Need to Blog

I've got a scatter-brain right now and don't know what to narrow down this blog post to so here goes...

Audrey is goofy over a boy band called "One Direction". She can be in her room with the door closed and all of a sudden we'll hear a little screech. 1D is on the radio. They are a British band so she is all over the Union Jack flag and we HAD to watch the closing Olympic ceremonies. She wants to live in England someday and drink tea all day. (She's reading this over my shoulder while I'm typing it and would like for me to let you know that she also likes Ellie Goulding and Ed Sheeran.) Personally, I can't get over the lyrics of one of the songs "What makes you beautiful"- "The way that you flip your hair gets me overwhelmed". I crack up every time I hear it. What boy bands do you remember? 

I ran my first solo 10k race this weekend. It was in Huxley as a part of our PrairieFest celebration. I wanted to see how I would do on a normal road race- as in could I run a 10k without crying? Yes, yes I can! Bill and Ben joined me on their bikes about halfway through and rode alongside me. I had told Bill my reasonable goal, but I also had a secret goal and I ended up beating both of those! I didn't get a top 3 finish, but I don't care. Really, I don't. (I did at the Sugar Bottom Trail run.) There was a great group of runners for both the 5k and 10k and while a whole wave of them passed me within the first mile, it felt so good to turn left instead of right where the 5 and 10k split. I was running what only a few were doing.


I got this lovely t-shirt and a new souvenir blister!

My neighbor stopped by with a sack of cucumbers and I said I was willing to trade 3 kids for the veggies. It was one of those kind of days. (He gave a hearty laugh and walked away. I still got the cukes, though.)

I was getting after Audrey for some snacking the other day because supper was less than a half hour away when in walks Ben with two friends and they clear me out of food. At least, that's how it felt. I was peeling hard-boiled eggs. I started with a dozen. I put in the fridge less than that. Noticeably less. I don't mind the boys coming over and eating at all, I'm just not accustomed to the amount of food that it will take to sustain them. I'm gonna have to up my game.

Audrey is not out for cross country this fall or any other after school activity. The boys will probably not play fall sports other than racing. It's kind of weird. We didn't really plan it that way, but that's how it turning out. I can't say anyone is complaining about it, though Ben is a little stir crazy once he gets home from school.

Audrey and I watched the movie "Billy Elliot" the other day. Not recommended for kids as the language is coarse and the themes are older. However, it is almost hard to describe this movie- powerful, emotional, beautiful, raw! Short version- boy goes to the gym for boxing; watches the ballet class also rehearsing in the gym; a father and two boys are left grieving the death of wife/mother; father and older son are striking against working in coal mines; grandmother could have been a professional dancer. 

We took the kids to see Diary of a Wimpy Kid Dog Days. Blech! After the first 10 minutes, Bill and I were done. I was hoping that Greg Heffley would learn from his mistakes, but instead it was just scenario one after another of the same. The most poignant moments of the movie are *spoiler alert* when Greg finally understands what disappointing his dad truly feels like and when his dad says that he messes up all the time, he just admits when he's wrong. Both points, Greg totally doesn't get, goes about trying to make things right still the wrong way and somehow it all ends up good in the end. We've read some of the Wimpy Kid books, and we get them in book form, but by the third movie it leaves a lot lacking. Greg and his whole family need to grow up.

Um, somehow this turned into a movie review post.  

Oh my goodness, how could I forget? We finished our state plate game!! Oddly, we were down to just Vermont for about a month before Bill spotted it in the Boondocks parking lot. We finished in just over a year and all in Iowa (except for Hawaii)! We decided not to start another round but I can't help but look at car plates still!

So there we go, a little tidbit for now.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading. Kind comments are always welcomed!