Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Spiced Carrots and Honey Mustard Chicken

Ben and I harvested the carrots the other day. Besides our cherry tomatoes, this was our one crop that turned out well. At first he wasn't thrilled to join me but then he got to see what all those months of watering and waiting had produced and went to town pulling the rest for me.


He liked pulling the really big ones.

To Ben's right is a good crop of kale, in the middle are the carrots, and to his left is the broccoli that never would be.

We didn't thin them as recommended and so we pulled several clumps. 

I've had this carrot recipe for a long time. I made them for the first time when I needed to feed a bunch of guys who came over to help our re-roof our first home. In the kitchen I had help from the guys' wives: Marcia, Michelle, Miranda, Mindy and me. We cooked up a feast for our hungry bunch and these carrots were on the menu. They were a hit then and they are a hit now.

Spiced Carrots 
  • 5 large carrots, julienned or sliced
  • 2 Tbsp. butter, melted
  • 1 Tbsp. sugar
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
Place carrots in saucepan; cover with water and cook until tender, about 8-10 minutes. Drain. Pour butter, sugar, salt and cinnamon over carrots and toss to coat. Serve immediately. Serves 4-6

Depending on the size of carrots you are using, this may or may not make 4-6 servings. I'd say, make more than you think just in case your kids gobble them up. 

I served them with Honey Mustard Chicken. This recipe comes my friend Jayme via our church cookbook, though I've made some modifications for boneless breasts. You could replace the chicken with pork chops and it be equally yummy.

Honey Mustard Chicken
  • 4-6 chicken breasts or boneless pork chops
  • 1/2 c. butter, melted
  • 1/2 c. honey
  • 1/4 c. Dijon mustard
  • 1 tsp. curry powder
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
Place chicken in a baking dish. Combine butter, honey, mustard, curry powder and salt and pour over the top. Bake at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes until tender and cooked through. Baste occasionally. 

I'm not a food stylist or food blogger, but this is still a yummy plate of food.
Are you enjoying this What 2 Eat series? Is it helping with your own weekly menu planning? 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading. Kind comments are always welcomed!