Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Chicken Noodle Soup

The temperatures right now in Iowa are frigid to put it mildly. Yes, we've had it colder, but as I type, the Weather Channel app on my phone says it is 2 degrees, feels like -15. Brr!

This cold of weather means a couple of things. One- all running is done indoors. I use my treadmill in the garage. It's unheated in there but not freezing. It'll do. And I will go the extra mile (heehee) to say that usually the last thing you want to do when it is cold is move your body, but it's a great way to stay warm all day. The second thing is that we want to pump our bodies with warm liquids and stay under blankets all day. Tea, hot chocolate (Equal Exchange Hot Cocoa is really good), and coffee all make the cut along with soups.

I like a good soup.

My family likes a good soup, too, but just not as often as me.

They do like this one. A lot.

The recipe comes from our church's one and only cookbook collected and printed circa '97. Mine is falling apart. I've lost the back cover, a banana sticker is permanently attached to the front cover and the plastic binding is slowly decaying. I've used it that much, turning back again and again to some good recipes, including one from a pastor's wife. It's creamy. It has thick noodles. It isn't hard to make and it has a permanent purple Post-it flag on its page marking it. I've made this countless times for my family and taken it to families who need a good soup to cheer them up or get them through. 

This is Pam's Chicken Noodle Soup recipe and I think you should give it a try sometime soon.

Chicken Noodle Soup
  • 12 oz. pkg. Reames frozen egg noodles
  • 2 c. cooked chicken or turkey
  • 1 small onion, diced
  • 1 can cream of chicken soup
  • salt and pepper
  • 2 Tbsp. chicken bouillon
Optional ingredients but add as many as you can
  • 1 c. chopped celery
  • 1 c. chopped carrots
  • 1 c. chopped broccoli
  • 6-8 fresh sliced mushrooms
  • minced fresh parsley
Bring to a boil 8 cups water, onion, celery, carrots and bouillon. Simmer 15 minutes. Add egg noodles and mushrooms. Simmer 10 minutes. Add chicken, broccoli, soup, salt and pepper. Simmer 10 minutes.


What do you do to stay warm?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading. Kind comments are always welcomed!