Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Sun-Dried Tomatoes

Were you wondering how long it would take for me to write about food again? Wonder no more, friends. Today we talk sun-dried tomatoes. Except the tomatoes aren't dried in the sun. Today we talk candied tomatoes. Yet again, they aren't candied exactly.

Today we talk about tomatoes that are oven roasted and preserved in the fridge/freezer with a covering of olive oil.

Well, I'm making a mess of this whole thing.

Here ya go. Head to Anastasia's blog and read about how to make your own sun-dried tomatoes

I made a batch a couple weeks ago and it really can't be easier. Easier than writing this post, at least. I froze most of the tomatoes and left a jar in the fridge to use right away.

Last night I made Chicken with Sun-Dried Tomato and Basil sauce for supper. Bill commented that it was a nice, lighter version of chicken alfredo. While technically not true, he was right in essence. It is a lighter sauce with bright flavors. I would maybe add a pinch of salt to pop the flavor a bit more. 

Here's the thing. I sort of got to the point in the last couple of years where I felt like sun-dried tomato had been over-used. Every thing I tried didn't end up tasting nearly as spectacular as my taste buds were prepared to receive. After munching a few plain one right off the pan and then in the chicken dish, I'm ready to give them a try again.

I rounded up a few recipes I thought I might try out in the future.

Sun-Dried Tomato and Mozzarella Quinoa Burgers
If my family caught me trying to pass this off as an actual burger, I would be hanged. I will call them patties, instead. Also, I will use two eggs and not one and a half and leave out the chives.

Sun-Dried Tomato Jam and Whipped Feta Crostini
I think you just drooled a little bit there. Bill and I have had some sort of tomato jam/compote at our favorite restaurant, The Cafe, and now I'm think I pretty much must make this for us. Only change I can see with this one is skipping the fat-free part, unless it comes naturally fat-free.

What would you toss these tomatoes into? Pile them on a sandwich? Blend them with mayo and fold into a kitchen sink kind of pasta salad? 

Enjoy!

1 comment:

Thanks for reading. Kind comments are always welcomed!