Wednesday, October 27, 2010

My Very Own

I have claim to only one original recipe in my whole entire life so far. That's it. Almost all the rest I share with you are from someone else. But this one is my own. It is ham balls. Throw your head back and laugh if you wish, but make it anyway and your husband, your kids (for the most part) and any fellow neighbor you wish to share this meal with will be oh so happy. I'm also posting this on here for my friend, Stephanie, so that she will not have to have her daughter, Anna, call and get the recipe from me again. :)


Ham Balls
1 pound ham loaf (meat counter)
1 pound pork sausage
1 egg
1 hamburger/hot dog bun/ slice of bread
milk
salt and pepper


In a large bowl, mix together all the ingredients, tearing the bread into small pieces and add enough milk to make it moist (1/4 - 1/2 cup). Mix well until combined. Then use a large ice cream scoop and portion out the meat mixture into baking dish or freezer container. 
Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes, uncovered. 


This recipe is obviously flexible in that you can just double as needed. It also freezes really well, so I always make extra. Serve with BBQ sauce if you want. This recipe also pairs perfectly with this next one.




Hashbrown Casserole
1 32 oz. bag southern style hashbrowns
1 small onion, chopped
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 cup sour cream
2 cups cheddar cheese


Mix all the ingredients together and pour into a 9x13 pan. Mix together 1/2 cup melted butter with 2 cups crushed corn flakes and spread over top.
Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.




This recipe freezes well and bakes at exactly the same temp and time as ham balls. Love that!!
This recipe is from our pastor's wife, Pam, whom I can remember making this all the time when I was in college. It fed her family with 5 kids plus a bunch of ravenous college students who were always lolly-gagging about. 


Double these recipes: 1 for your family, and 1 for a neighbor, or a mama with a new baby, or your pastor's family, or for your family later. You'll be glad you did!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading. Kind comments are always welcomed!