Saturday, March 16, 2013

IGE Crock Pot Breakfast Casserole


This recipe is taken straight from Iowa Girl Eats. I'm posting it here because 1) my father-in-law asked for the recipe and 2) because I know he won't click over to her scrumptious site to get the recipe. Which is ok. 3) Because he always wants less food stuff on my blog so this is my way of making him eat his words. heehee!

As far as the recipe goes, it's pretty awesome. I love green onions but added them minimally as the rest of the fam doesn't. The second time I made it, I added a bit more milk to the eggs. The eggs set the whole casserole up well but I felt there wasn't much wiggle room for cooking it longer so adding more milk gave me a bit more time. Since every slow cooker cooks differently, keep an eye on it towards the end; the cheese can get a bit too done. (But with the addition of more milk or water, that seemed to help.) Yum! You will like this. (I could totally see this recipe being vegged up: peppers, onions, mushrooms and more.)

I should include a little a funny little story about Iowa Girl Eats just to prove how off my rocker I can be. Actually, it's about her husband, Ben. I was in Whole Foods shopping one evening and spied him in the produce department. As I was busy examining elephant kale (lacinato, to be exact), I was also debating if I should say hi to him. We then moved on: ketchup for me, fresh meat counter for him. I had decided I should probably just let the fellow do his shopping in peace but a teensy part of me said "No, get your picture taken with him. Then you'll have matching pictures and that will be dorky and awesome all at once." Well, the fact that I almost knocked over a corner stack of wine made me re-group. I went on to look at fair trade chocolate and he must have zipped out quick. My chance was over. I tweeted Kristen and gave her the update. Turns out, I wasn't the only one as she RT'd another Whole Foods shopper spying Ben that night. Oh dear. He is such a good sport, he tweeted us back. (I ended up getting the kale, the ketchup and wine but it wasn't the wine I almost knocked over.)
And with that, here's the recipe from Iowa Girl Eats. Thanks for sharing it with us, Kristen (and Ben). 


by Iowa Girl Eats
Keywords: slow-cooker breakfast entree eggs sausage smoked mozzarella cheese hash browns


Crock Pot Breakfast Casserole is an incredibly easy and crowd pleasing breakfast!
Ingredients (serves 12)
  • 30oz bag frozen hash browns
  • 1lb sausage, browned & drained
  • 8oz shredded cheddar cheese
  • 8oz shredded mozzarella cheese
  • 6 green onions, sliced and divided in half
  • 12 eggs
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
Instructions
  • Spray a large crock pot with non-stick spray then place half the hash browns into the bottom. Layer in half the cooked sausage, half the cheeses, and half the green onions, then repeat hash brown, sausage, and cheese layers.
  • In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, salt, and pepper, then drizzle over top. Cook on high for 4 hours, or low for 8 hours, or until eggs are set. Serve with remaining green onions, salsa, or guacamole.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading. Kind comments are always welcomed!