Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Favorite Sandwich

This week is kind of piled up with one thing on top of another for the first half. I'm not going to go into the details, but let's just say a meal in the crock-pot is a blessing. This recipe is probably my kids' favorite sandwich. They just go crazy for it! I originally got it from my friend, Laura, the same Laura with the chili recipe. I think she got it from her neighbor.Who knows where it originally came from, but it must be passed along, so enjoy!

French Dip
3-4 lb. rump roast
½ c. Worchestershire sauce or soy sauce
1 clove garlic, minced
1 pkg. onion soup mix
4 ½ c water
1 large onion, sliced
Swiss or provolone cheese
Put roast in crock pot. Add sauce, garlic, onion soup mix and water. Cook on low all day. Pull meat out and let rest for 10-15 minutes. Slice meat and return to crock-pot to heat up. Serve on toasted hoagie rolls with onion and cheese slices. Use broth to dip sandwich in.

I like the broth so much because it is richer and more flavorful. When I order this at a restaurant and the broth is just plain beef broth it tastes just so bland. I strain and refrigerate the broth. Then, when it has cooled, I skim the fat off and freeze it as beef broth for later.
A way to make this meat stretch is to use the leftover meat and broth that has been strained (or not) in your favorite beef stew. The stew gets a nice, deep flavor to it. Finally, if there is leftover stew, make a double piecrust, dump in the leftover stew and make a beef potpie! Or just keep eating the leftovers.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Mindy for posting this recipe. I always enjoy trying new things & this one was great! The meat and broth are as flavorful as you wrote about. It's such a great, filling and 'quick' type meal that it will be added to our rotation of meal ideas. Thanks again! ~ Angie Mowery

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading. Kind comments are always welcomed!