Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Strawberry Lemonade Scones

Thanks for being so completely awesome in helping out the Asikuma Project fundraiser! What joy it will bring those Asikuma villagers!!

Funny story… So a few weeks back was my birthday. Bill’s and my alarms went off at the same time and while I shut mine off thinking “It’s my birthday, I’m sleeping in”, Bill turned his off and got up. I knew he and Ben were going to the motorcycle park that day and figured he was getting up to get ready. I was sort of ready to get up, though, because, as usual, when you can sleep in somehow you can’t. I heard the front door open and close, so I figured Bill was leaving to get me coffee from my favorite coffee shop, Burgie’s. That was going to be nice, so I rolled over and tried some more shut eye. *snore*

Later, I’m awakened to a very quiet opening of my bedroom door. I figure it’s someone checking on me, to see if I’m still asleep. I keep my back turned and my eyes closed. Don’t want to spoil the darlings’ plans, of course. I hear pans rattling in the kitchen, so it can only mean one thing. After they leave, I text to Facebook from my phone that I’m being held hostage in my room while my family makes me breakfast in bed. Some friends comment back saying to enjoy the love, my sister asks if I’m complaining, others hope I get other meals made that day for me also.

Finally I get up. I can join them out there. I notice that on the back of my door is a post-it saying that my birthday present is in the microwave. Aha! Coffee! I was right. Mothers just know these things. I walk directly to the microwave, read the “Love, Audrey” post-it and grab the coffee and smile. It’s also then that I notice that no breakfast is in sight. In fact, just the remains of some scrambled eggs that Bill made earlier and not really a trace of Bill or Ben; they had already left for the motorcycle park!

So the short of the story is that Bill took Audrey (who got up early!) to Burgie’s for my coffee, which she paid for with her gift card she got for her birthday then made eggs for Ben and himself before leaving! I wasn’t being held hostage! I didn’t even get breakfast!

But, that didn’t bother me. Just the night before, I had seen on Pinterest a pin for strawberry lemonade scones and my mouth was watering for them. I knew I had all the ingredients to make my own version of them, so that’s what I did for my own birthday breakfast! And I shared them with Audrey since she was home. I tried to share them with Luke, but both he and Ben won’t try any other scone besides the cinnamon ones!

Here’s my version and they turned out fabulous, if I do say so myself!!

Strawberry Lemonade Scones

  • 2 c. flour
  • 1/3 c. sugar
  • 2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 1 tsp. fresh lemon zest
  • 1/3 c. small chopped fresh strawberries
  • 5 Tbsp. cold butter
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 c. heavy whipping cream
  • 1 tsp. fresh squeezed lemon juice

  In a bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and lemon zest. Cut in butter until it is coarse crumb sized. Combine in strawberries.

In a measuring cup, measure out the heavy whipping cream, add the egg and the lemon juice. Stir to break up egg.

Make a well in center of flour mixture, pour in cream mixture and stir gently until incorporated. Turn out onto lightly floured board, knead gently to pull dough together. Pat into a circle. Cut into 8 pie shaped wedges. Transfer to parchment lined baking sheet. Bake at 375o for about 15 minutes. Remove from sheet, drizzle with glaze and let cool.

Lemon Glaze 

  • 1/2 c. powdered sugar
  • 1-2 tsp. fresh lemon juice

Combine in a small bowl, starting with less lemon juice and adding more until desired consistency.

*keep the strawberries pieces small so they don’t “weep” in the dough

*the lemon glaze is so, so good! just dunk fresh strawberries in them- yuh-um!!

*if you are afraid to it being too lemony, you could add a little milk instead of more lemon juice, but seriously, the lemon isn’t over-powering

 Strawberry Lemonade Scones

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading. Kind comments are always welcomed!