Monday, August 29, 2011

New Territory

In case you missed the back to school post, or are new to reading my blog or know nothing about my family, let me fill you in. All of my children, and I only have three, are now in school. Translation: I don’t have any kids at home during the day.

In case you missed my last recital for a while post, or are new to reading my blog or know nothing about my former job as a piano teacher, let me fill you in. I’m not teaching anymore. Translation: The two things that filled my time during and after-school are no more.

Summary of my life right now- This is all new territory for me. I’ve never been here before.

Questions asked.. So did you cry when they left? What are you doing now? Do you miss teaching? What are you going to do with all your free time? and more.

Questions answered…

I actually didn’t cry when the kids left, which is surprising because with Audrey I sobbed on her first day of preschool, kindergarten, okay, both. I didn’t jump up and down for joy but I wasn’t sad either. This is life. The next right step is for my kids to go to school and I’m not going to hold them back because I don’t want our life to change.

The next three questions are all answered in one, sort of. Last Monday I would have started my first week of lessons in the studio. I didn’t do that. When I realized that, I was sad a little. Why? Because I love teaching piano. But I was glad to not have to do that on top of what I’m doing now because where would I fit that in?!!! I’ve been busy.

As a coordinator for the Rosebud Exchange Program, I’ve been at my computer or on my phone a good amount of time, helping host families work out details and fielding questions and exchanging texts and listening to praises and problems. Though I didn’t do as much this summer as I thought I would, I’ve certainly made up for it in the two weeks the kids have been here. This doesn’t take up all my time and comes in waves. I am thrilled to do what I can.

Our home has been an open door to lots of people over the last month, also. I’m so glad for all who stayed. I plan on keeping it that way!

I’ve also spent time with my family as we now work through estate things after the death of my uncle. This definitely comes in chunks and is often a sad, sorrowful thing. My family is never far from my heart as I seek the Lord through it all. I love them and I want His glory to shine through us. Psalm 119:68 says “You are good, and what you do is good.”

I found that verse today in my time in the Word and that’s another thing that I continue to relish- my alone time with Him. I soak Him up as much as I can with these quieter days. It’s not always this way but while I’ve got it, I’m trying to store up as much as I can.

I’m spending time with friends. My friend, Kate, had a little get-together the first Friday of school and then Angie had her craft day. Plus, I’ve had lunch with a friend and other occasions with friends. Yay! I’ve definitely missed that over the years.

I love being there for the kids when they get home. Yup! I look forward to them coming home. I don’t always have fresh cookies or treats, but that was never an integral part of my plan. Yummy, but not integral. We have all sorts of things to share, not to mention a bit of teenage drama to talk through.

My new nephew. Oh, I can’t get enough of him!! He’s growing and doing really well, being 21 days old- yes, ask me, I know. And when I do hold him, I take a picture of him with my phone and send it to Bill to make him jealous. It’s fun.

Other things I’m supposed to be doing…

  • laundry. Hah! Just the other day I realized I should do Bill’s and my laundry. Our routine has been turned upside down for the last few weeks, so laundry and planned meals just happens, sort of.
  • planned meals. No more what’s for supper at 6:00, especially since kids have to get to bed earlier now that school has started. When I taught, I would plan a crock-pot meal, a casserole and a soup as part of every week’s menu. Menu. I should make a menu.
  • cleaning and sorting through every nook and cranny in the house. Yeah, right. That will happen. It actually got started at the beginning of August, but when my uncle suddenly died, everything was put on hold and I’ve literally been too busy to finish it. I should. I will. The stair landing looks like a Goodwill store, according to Aunt Denise. All the nooks and crannies are going to have to wait their turn. 

That’s it. That’s what this new territory looks like so far. I fall into bed each night, more exhausted than I have ever been, with exception to when the kids were babies. My life is good because God is in it and he has told me “This is the way, walk in it.” Isaiah 30:21b

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading. Kind comments are always welcomed!