Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Running For Miracle

Make sure you've read about Miracle here before you read on.



This is the picture of Amanda and I post- Kaelman Run. We both had PR's that morning. (personal records) We are runners. 

We ran that day. We ran a few weeks later, while still lost in the throes of all-consuming grief when a half marathon loomed in front of her and she hadn't put in any miles for weeks. We kept that run easy as I was also in healing mode before my Sugar Bottom Trail race. We ran some killer hills at Ledges when I needed to finish my training plan even though my race was over. We keep running and talking and crying and working it out. 

This week we are running our miles in memory of Miracle. The Twitter group #runchat will sometimes host a virtual run (think virtual race but real miles) in memory of someone and they encouraged Amanda to let them run for Miracle. Read about it at Run for Miracle.

Miracle was alive for 3,701 minutes. That is the goal number of miles we are hoping people will log on their legs for Miracle.

Here's how you can join in:

  • Visit Run for Miracle and log your miles in on the form. (She told me it's just a form that sends her an email, so nothing fancy.) You don't have to pledge your miles- that was leading up to this week.
  • If you are on Twitter, @amandastvnsn #runformiracle will get her your miles
  • Find her on Facebook, Amanda Stevenson, to post your miles on her wall.
  • Or leave a comment in this blog post with your miles.
  • Or text me, if you know my number.
  • Or call me.
  • TELL OTHERS!!
You don't have to be a runner to put your miles in. You can walk. You don't have to be fast or far, either. You could even put on your pedometer and see how many miles you get in just in the course of a week (if that's how those things work). The only thing that probably won't really count is if you're into say, push-ups. You love push-ups. You do hundreds of them a day. You can't stop thinking about push-ups. Okay, if you can turn that into miles, then fine, otherwise, that's pretty much just weird.

Amanda told me on Sunday that Rockele is walking to work and is doing it for Miracle!! She is the birth mom who has had no easy road behind or before her. If she can do it, so can you!

So, who wants to run with me? No, really who wants to run with me? On Saturday, October 27 at 7:30 am, I'm going to go running. I want you to come join me. We will be running, rain or shine, about 3 miles. The route I have planned is the same one the Huxley PrairieFest race runs. It's mostly flat and easy. I have a couple of short cut turns if 3 miles isn't your deal. While this is just meeting up with friends to walk or run, I do want you to come, so I'm throwing in two door prize gifts to win. Walk/run with your kids, your dog, your friends.  


Running for Miracle
October 27, 7:30 am
Meet at 306 Northpark Blvd, Huxley (parking only on south side of street)
group pic and door prize drawings before we run so come a bit early
We'll leave at 7:30 am
Run/Walk at your own pace
route is the PrairieFest 5K
everyone can join as every mile counts
rain or shine, warm or cool
gently used shoes donations taken, tie/rubberband pairs together

When you're done, sign your name on the clipboard, logging in how many miles you did and I'll tweet them to Amanda!! You can leave whenever, just make sure you put your miles down before you go. 

You might have noticed the gently used shoe donation bit. Hope Ministries of Des Moines serves the homeless and they take gently used shoes. In other words, shoes that can still be worn. I will collect any of the shoes you bring and take them to Hope Ministries later on. All that I ask is that they be clean and tied or rubberbanded together as pairs. It is ministries like this that help women like Rockele out. Let's support them! 

Amanda and I, post- Des Moines Half Marathon this past Sunday, where she clocked in her personal best of 1:56!! (That's 13.1 miles in less than 2 hours!!)

May all the peoples praise you, O God; may all the peoples praise you. Psalm 67:5

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading. Kind comments are always welcomed!