Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Home Alone with Soup

I am home alone today.
I will be from 8:00 am to 3:00 pm.
This is the first day in 10 days.

We have had a round or two of the flu/cold here. It's been mainly settling on the kids. Luke started things up at 3:30 am Sunday morning. Then, Ben got hit with it. I tell you, I have never seen a kid actually turn green before until Sunday night. He came upstairs to tell me he didn't feel well and well… we soon knew he didn't feel well. It took him all week to recover. On Tuesday, Luke was back to school but Audrey stayed home along with Ben. The day started out with both of them in bed. Then they moved out to the family room. One in the bean bag and the other on the couch. When I checked on them again, they had switched places. And another check had them back to their original spots. Luke was very concerned about his sick siblings (that he infected). 

Bill and I didn't get sick, amazingly. I did have a day where I had that ominous feeling and so promptly settled myself down to rest but no yakety-yak. Thank goodness.

Meal times consisted of toast, applesauce and ramen noodles. For all three meals. I had practically forgotten how to cook. 

But by day 4 with Ben I was looking for ways to just get his stomach to settle down. I had come across a soup recipe that I decided to try on him because it was yummy and had more nutritional value than noodles alone. 

It's Tom Kha Gai or Thai Coconut Soup. 

It's very easy to keep all the main ingredients on hand and super easy to make. It might seem spicy but I don't think it is. The flavor is subtle and the broth is creamy yet light, so easy on the stomach. 

I'm a fan, obviously. Ben is not quite. Of course, he really only loves chicken noodle as far as soups go. I made that Sunday night and now he's better and off to school. Audrey came home early yesterday because she needed to get ahead of a cold but she's in school today.

I'm home alone today.
Did I mention that?

I think I'll have some leftover soup. 



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading. Kind comments are always welcomed!