Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Keeping Fresh Ginger

Yesterday I did my victory lap of "everyone is better and we're back to our routine"! It feels so good.

I also shared the recipe for Tom Kha Gai soup and mentioned that it is easy to keep the main ingredients on hand. If you've ever purchased fresh ginger and had it go bad fairly quickly, you may be wondering about my statement about keeping it on hand. 

Wonder no more, my friends! Here's how to always have fresh ginger. (You want to always have fresh ginger. It is so yummy!)

This is a small knob of fresh ginger. It's all that I had left before deciding to take these pictures.

Scrape the skin off with the edge of a spoon. Can you see the flesh?

Place a piece of plastic wrap on the counter or draped over a container and grate the ginger finely. I don't have a microplane grater and this works just as well for me. The idea is that you want to keep the pulp and the juices.

Roll up the plastic wrap, smooshing all the pulp and juices together into a cylinder. Twist the ends, place in a plastic bag and freeze.


Now you have fresh ginger all the time, just cut off however much you need.


At a loss for what you might use fresh ginger in? 
For supper try Chicken and Vegetable Lo Mein (It calls for shiitake mushrooms but I use regular mushrooms). 

I'll stop now. What about you? What do you love to use fresh ginger in? 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading. Kind comments are always welcomed!