Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Cranberry Chicken

Now when I was engaged to be married to Bill, I received from the ladies at my home church a cookbook filled with recipes from all the ladies. In it were great recipes, including this one from Bonnie Walker. You might have a cranberry chicken recipe in your arsenal already, but here is the only one I have and if I do say so myself, it is good.

Cranberry Chicken

  • 1/2 c. flour
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1/4 tsp. pepper
  • 1/4 c. butter
  • 4-6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
  • 1 c. water
  • 1 c. fresh cranberries (but she notes she has used frozen and cranberry sauce before)
  • 1/2 c. brown sugar
  • dash ground nutmeg
  • 1 Tbsp. red wine vinegar (opt.)

Combine flour, salt and pepper- dredge chicken in mixtures. In a skillet, over medium heat, melt butter and brown chicken. Remove chicken and keep warm. Add rest of ingredients; stir and cook until cranberries burst (maybe 5 minutest). Return chicken to skillet; cover and simmer over low 20-30 minutes until chicken is done. Baste occasionally. Serve with rice or egg noodles.

Doesn’t that sound good? You can buy cranberries when they are in season and on sale and freeze them to use later on. If you don’t have the red wine vinegar, you don’t have to have it. If you do have some red wine handy, though, you can use that instead. Or just forego the whole red wine/vinegar thing.

Bill is reading this and he says there was a Bonnie Walker in his church, where I also got recipes from, so I’m not exactly sure which church, which Bonnie Walker this recipe is from. I doubt it matters in the outcome of this recipe.

DSC_0002

1 comment:

  1. Hmm. I think I need to go out and purchase cranberries for the first time in my life. This sounds delicious! Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading. Kind comments are always welcomed!