Monday, April 4, 2011

Homemade Granola

My recipe comes from Ina Garten’s Barefoot Contessa At Home cookbook. I’m sharing my variation with you. I don’t have her or her publisher’s permission but I think I’ll be okay. Here’s why: 1. Though I would love to meet her someday and cook side by side with her, I probably never will. She will never know who I am because my blog isn’t that famous. 2. This is my variation on her recipe. In her cookbooks, she encourages you to find many variations to a basic recipe. She does it all the time herself.

Breakfast Granola

  • 1 c. oatmeal (not instant)
  • 1/2 c. sweetened, shredded coconut
  • 1/2 c. chopped up almonds (start with whole and chop them up)
  • 1/4 c. raw pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
  • 1 –2 Tbsp. chia seeds
  • 3 Tbsp. vegetable oil
  • 2 Tbsp. honey

Mix all the ingredients together on a rimmed baking sheet and toast at 350o for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Once baked, cool on sheet, stirring to break up.

Layer yogurt (plain for less sugar), fruit and granola in a bowl or parfait glass.

As Ina Garten says, how easy is that?! I’ve tried adding flax seed before but didn’t like the tiny slivers. I’ve also added sunflower seeds, but didn’t like the size either. It’s totally up to you, of course. I double this immediately because one recipe won’t go very far with Bill. Sometime I’d like to try using coconut oil instead of vegetable oil but first I have to get over the price of purchasing coconut oil. Also, the original recipe calls for slivered or sliced almonds but I prefer to buy only whole almonds and chop them how I want.  Finally, if you want to boost you protein a little more, add some protein powder along with the yogurt. Enjoy!

I’m sorry I don’t have a picture. I thought I took one but now I can’t find it. I’ll add one when I make this again.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading. Kind comments are always welcomed!