Thursday, April 7, 2011

You Can See a Sigh

I landed in Des Moines, late Thursday afternoon and called Bill to let him know I was finally on the ground, in Iowa! I retrieved my bag and headed to the main waiting area. As I turned the corner, I spied the kids, they spied me and broke out into a full run. Ben reached me first and hugged me tight. Audrey was next with a smothering hug and kisses. Luke hugged Ben, which was really meant for me, but I’ve only got so much hug room. And finally, Bill, remaining dignified and not running but I know he was rejoicing on the inside, leaned over and kissed me. My family running towards me was the best picture my mind has taken in a while. It wasn’t a “Hey, Mom.” kind of hug. It was a we missed you, needed you, now we are whole again kind of hug.

I wasn’t quite ready to go home and assess the kitchen, let alone tackle a meal, so I asked Bill to take us out. Funny thing, though. I could see we were hungry and tired but what they all really were was hungry and tired and needing me to make it right. I could actually see them all decompressing, sighs of relief! Our appetites weren’t like they usually are. They just really wanted to get me home and get me re-established as Mom. I could see it. They also really wanted a good home cooked meal. Dad is great but he’s not a cook, especially when he has to work and run kids around. They also really wanted some clean laundry! Bill got a few loads in, but not all of it. It wasn’t until this past Sunday that I considered this fully. I usually do laundry on Mondays and Tuesdays and I failed to mention this to Bill as I was gone. I promptly took care of that situation!

All this is to say, I know now that I am needed in our family. That might be a silly thing to say. Of course moms are needed! And families make it work with all kinds of arrangements. And sure there was appreciation from Bill for what I do, but there wasn’t any fanfare, no hoisting onto shoulders. More than anything, I could see I was wanted, needed and loved straight from the heart. I’ll take that any day!

 

1 comment:

  1. It's a good thing you didn't have your camera out to document the hugging moment, cuz it would have put your camera at great risk.

    I miss those hugs from Ben, Audrey and Luke and looking forward to being at the receiving end of them again sometime!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading. Kind comments are always welcomed!