Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Getting Ready

Yesterday's post started way earlier than that afternoon's trip to town. It started with a prayer earlier that day. 

The summary of that prayer was this "Help me get ready".

And that prayer came out of desperation. Not desperation to hear from the Lord (which one might naturally assume), but to be content with the charge he has given me for the time.

To get ready.

That's it! That's what I know God wants me to be doing right now. Getting ready.

Ready for what?

I HAVE NO IDEA!! 

But I do know the things that are on my "Get Ready" list. It seems forever long. And somehow, no, not somehow, in my very sin-natured, self-reliant way, I've forgotten the very Person who can help me get ready. I've taken it upon myself to get my checklist done and then think that God will be waiting for me at the end with the "what" part.

I'm finishing up the last few chapters of Psalms from my summer reading and at the same time, diving back in at the beginning for women's Bible study. I read a big chunk, about nine chapters, in one sitting. I took them in whole. As I read them, both now and in the past, I am continually in awe of David's boldness in his prayers.

Psalm 17: 6,7 says, "I call on you, O God, for you will answer me; give ear to me and hear my prayer. Show the wonder of your great love..."

I realized right in the middle of my struggle to be content, I needed to ask for help being content. So I just flat out asked him. Show me. Help me get ready.

How does that relate to a homeless person? Well, in a round-about-ish way. Because I don't know what is around the next corner for me and my family. Bill doesn't know either. But I do know what I can do even if it just a very little thing. And until Bill and I know what the next "thing" is (which we sort of don't believe in- we believe God wants our "Yes", our obedience), this is just a step in that obedience. 
And because I want to make more of Him. Just plain and simple. More.
Finally, (if you've been able to hang on this far) I want to put the very words of life into something understandable. I've been searching a long time for a way to break down the Christian vernacular and put it into something graspable. But that is a very risky proposition and not easily done. (Hopefully I'll get to write soon about that, too.)

I'm thankful for that woman with the cardboard sign- she gave me words to share with you.


Psalm 138
I will praise you, O Lord, with all my heart;
before the "gods" I will sing your praise.
I will bow down toward your holy temple and will praise your name for you love and your faithfulness, for you have exalted above all things your name and your word.
When I called, you answered me; you made me bold and stouthearted.
May all the kings of the earth praise you, O Lord, when they hear the words of your mouth.
May they sing of the ways of the Lord, for the glory of the Lord is great.
Though the Lord is on high, he looks upon the lowly, but the proud he knows from afar.
Though I walk in the midst of trouble, you preserve my life;
you stretch out your hand against the anger of my foes, 
with your right hand you save me.
The Lord will fulfill his purpose for me;
your love, O Lord, endures forever-
do not abandon the works of your hands.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading. Kind comments are always welcomed!