Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Homemade Scones

I make scones. I do. I've become known for my scones. They are good. My mom has told me that now, she never buys scones in a coffeeshop because mine are so much better. Really.
The recipe really isn't mine to begin with. Bill found it for me a long time ago. I don't know how or why since he had never eaten a scone nor drank a cup of coffee in his life, but love will do that to a man.
The website is Joy of Baking.com and I just visited it. What she has listed as traditional and coffeeshop type scones is different than what I got years ago, so whatever to that. Here is what I make that gets rave reviews.

Cream Scones

2 c. all-purpose flour
1/3 c. granulated sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
¼ tsp. salt
1/3 c. unsalted butter, cold
1 egg, beaten
1 tsp. vanilla extract
½ c. heavy cream

Glaze:
1 egg, beaten with 1 Tbsp. cream
Turbinado (raw) sugar


Variations- about 1/3 c. each unless noted:
Dried cherries- vanilla chips
Dried cranberries- orange zest (1Tbsp)
Dried strawberries
Dried blueberries
Chocolate chips
Cinnamon chips
Chopped, toasted pecans


Mix together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Cut in butter to large coarse crumbs. Add variations at this point. Mix together egg, vanilla, and cream. Stir into the well of flour until moistened. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead gently until dough is smooth. Pat into a 7” circle about 1” thick. Cut into 8 triangle sections. Separate and place on a parchment lined sheet. Brush with glaze and sprink turbinado sugar on top. Bake 375 degrees for about 15 minutes.

Edited to add: In response to the queries about the cinnamon chips and where to get them, I buy them at a bulk food store in Mt. Pleasant, near where Bill's parents live. Every time we visit them, I drag Bill's mom to town with me to buy several bags of them. If you are near me and would like some, just let me know and I'll just give you some. If you don't live near me, you can ask your grocer to start stocking them. Both Hershey's and King Arthur's Flour make them. Or you can buy them online. Or you can take Amtrak to Mt. Pleasant and visit the bulk food store. 
Turbinado sugar is raw sugar. You can find it in the baking aisle near the sugar. I think the box I bought called it sugar in the raw.
I don't usually add the glaze to the tops of the scones. Why? Because it requires more cream and another egg and I'm stingy. Also, if I don't make it, then I can get two scone recipes out of one pint of cream. The sugar still sticks to the tops without it.
 
Now, I've just recently tweaked my cinnamon chip variation by adding a teaspoon of hazelnut syrup to it. It gives an extra depth to the flavor. Don't know what cinnamon chips are? They are just like chocolate chips except cinnamon flavored You must find yourself some and a world of possibilities will open up to you. Plus, you will never be able to make a nice cranberry/orange scone ever again.
You will never buy scones again. Just save your money for the coffee. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks again for sharing the scone recipe with me a few years ago! I'm becoming known for my scones around here. :-) I made them for the garage sale and sold them for a buck a piece - and people actually bought them! I also gave them to Erin and Molly's teachers today as a thank you gift - wrapped in a dish towel in a cute little basket.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading. Kind comments are always welcomed!