Monday, March 28, 2011

Banana Muffins

The other side of the counter loves these muffins. They are perfect for breakfast, brunch, lunch, mid-afternoon snack or any other time of the day someone is hungry. They freeze wonderfully, too, so double up the recipe if you can. This was originally a recipe for banana bread, but muffins work better for us.

Banana Muffins

  • 1/2 c. butter, melted
  • 3/4 c. sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • 1 c. mashed bananas (2)
  • 1 3/4 c. flour
  • 2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp. baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp. salt

Combine melted butter and sugar, mix well. Add eggs and mix. Add vanilla and mashed bananas. Combine (if you want, but don’t have to) flour, baking powder, soda and salt and add to wet ingredients. Stir to combine. Scoop into muffin tins. Bake at 350o about 15 minutes until toothpick comes out clean.

 

Now I know everyone has their favorite banana bread/muffin recipe and to tell the truth, I don’t try anyone else’s, though everyone swears that their recipe is the best. So here’s a little story for you.

This recipe comes from a friend from college, Michelle. I had some questions about what was acceptable in dating in the college ministry she and I were both a part of so she and I went out for supper to talk. She told me that dating was actually okay but that there had just been a whole bunch of couples who had gone off and gotten married and The Salt Co. was kind of couple-less at the moment, so my question was legit. When I got home, the phone rang and it was Bill asking me out!!

Later, Michelle gave me this recipe for Banana Bread, that she said Bill liked. So the story behind that is that she used to make this banana bread recipe for Bill on a regular basis. I asked Bill and he just thought she was being nice. But Michelle’s side might indicate that she felt a little differently. Who knows? Anyway, one night she didn’t make any for him and he cracked a joke about it and that was the end of the banana bread for him, at least from her.

Michelle is one of the nicest, most sincere women I know, so how that story really all played out was probably skewed from my in-love, hearts all aglow perspective. I’m really thankful to her for giving me her recipe. I think of her every time I make them.

What’s the story behind your banana bread recipe?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading. Kind comments are always welcomed!