Thursday, March 31, 2011

Houston? We Have a Problem

Hi, just here in Houston. Didn't expect me to be here? Me neither, so I'm trying something new, blogging from my phone. So there won't be any pictures and there could be some horrible spelling. Sorry.
I'm on my way home from Florida. Maybe sometime later I'll get to writing about that. My flight today was to leave from Orlando at 3:30 but the plane arrived there a bit late. Then weather was moving in so we had to get a new flight plan. Getting that and more fuel caused us to get behind in the take off line up. We lined up behind the other planes waiting to take off. It was like the slowest drive thru ever. In that time the storm rolled through and we were grounded during it. I'm thankful for that.
But that put our whole flight an hour late getting off the ground. Free sodas and granola bars were handed out. I'm thankful for those. Once off the ground, there was unexpected turbulence, but we made it through and guess what the Sun is always shining above the rain, lightening, and turbulence. I am thankful for that. We landed in Houston and I missed my next flight from Houston to Des Moines, so I'm spending the night in a lovely Holiday Inn, with food vouchers and free shuttle service and care kit, all courtesy of Continental Airlines. I'm thankful for that. I had supper at the "Good Eats" restaurant that is in the hotel and it was food. While I can't scream to y'all (I'm adapting very quickly to the Southern accent) that it's the best good eats I've ever had, but I can't complain either. It is sustenance and way more than many others have and so I'm thankful. My room is nice. The bathroom is clean. The seat on the toilet was left up and the toilet paper was folded over into a triangle. Two signs that the bathroom has been cleaned. Either that or a guy came in, went standing up, thus never using toilet paper. In which case, I'd be hard pressed to be thankful. I don't think so, though.
I remembered to bring my charger for my phone. Thankful. I got to talk to the kids tonight. Thankful. Someone will help fill in where I was suppose to tomorrow. Thankful. There is a shuttle every half hour to the airport. My luggage is safely tucked away at the airport. It will probably arrive home before I do. Thankful anyway.
Get the idea?
I just read this today from Crazy Love by Francis Chan.
"We are consumed by safety. Now, I'm not saying its wrong to pray for God's protection, but I'm questioning how we've made safety our highest priority. We've elevated safety to the neglect of whatever God's best is, whatever would bring God the most glory, or whatever would accomplish His purposes in our lives and in the world. Would you be willing to pray this prayer? God, bring me closer to You during this trip, whatever it takes..." p.133
I did pray that little starter prayer during my flight and now I'm here in Houston, staying overnight, without my luggage, eating at a restaurant that people on the shuttle bus encouraged me to eat the pasta and I ordered a burger 'cause I need protein and there isn't a gift shop for me to get a t-shirt to sleep in that says "I love Houston" or even "I heart Holiday Inn" and the tv in my room doesn't even carry the Food Network!!!!!
I'm fine. I'm going to get to finish my book and have some alone time with God. I'm thinking I could get closer to Him that way.
Houston, we've got a problem? Cancel that.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading. Kind comments are always welcomed!