Monday, September 12, 2011

Tractor Time

If you are not a fan of tractors or not a fan of orange tractors, then don’t read today’s post. Just giving you fair warning.

If you have no idea what in the blazes I’m talking about then today’s post will be okay for you.

If you have an idea of what I’m talking about, meaning you know what orange tractors are, then today’s post will be either be fun because you will get to see more orange or you will think me an idiot because I don’t know what I’m talking about.

If you’re here for the cute kids, then today’s post will not disappoint.

We’ve been spending some time on the family farm, where my uncle lived, cleaning it up. So this past Sunday, Bill spend part of the day working on an Allis-Chalmers 190, trying to get it going. And wouldn’t you know it, he got it up and running! Though it’s been some time since he worked on his dad’s farm, he said once he started fiddlin’ around with things, it all came back pretty quick. The whole point was to see if a tractor would start but once he got ‘er goin’, he hooked up a mower to clear around old machinery. Here are some shots that Audrey took of the boys.

Ben was by Bill the whole time and got his first farm equipment lessons.

Raising the MowerTractor Lessons

Did you know farmers are very good backwards drivers? It’s because they spend so much time hooking up this thing and that and backing up trailers and wagons and such. I am not a good backwards driver. Though I lived part of my life on a farm, it was the first part, where I wasn’t actually big enough to see over the dash and reach the pedals at the same time.

Backwards 1Backwards 2Backwards 3

Don’t ask me any questions about an AC 190. I don’t know ANYTHING about them. Okay, maybe I know that is a diesel tractor and that this one used to have a step on it and it has a 3-point hitch (so you can not only pull something, but also raise it up and down).

No Step Anymore3-point hitch

I didn’t get any pictures of the kids on the tractor. Sad smile Ben rode out with Bill for a while then it was dinner time. (which means lunch but since we are on the farm, I feel I must use correct farm meal-time lingo.) Then Audrey spent a good part of the afternoon cutting weeds down with Bill. Luke didn’t get on very much. He was very content with a short ride and then staying near the house; perhaps another time. I’m sure this won’t be the last of our tractor time.

2 comments:

  1. Love it! I'm a good backwards driver too. Maybe that's why I always back in to parking spots. I never put two and two together. But it makes complete sense! My usually excuse is 'it's a farm thing'. And well, I guess that's true! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mindy,
    Looks like a great day on the farm! So glad you all liked the crockpot grinders, thanks for letting me know. Makes me happy when folks actually try my food out!
    Robin

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading. Kind comments are always welcomed!