Thursday, June 16, 2011

Laughing To Come

I was all set today to write about the things I’m learning about change, fear, things God has been teaching me that I want to share with you but first I started out by getting into the Word and focusing on Him (quiet time). That’s when this hit me. I ran smack dab into this verse and it stopped me dead in my tracks.

She is clothed with strength and dignity;

she can laugh at the days to come. Proverbs 31:25 (NIV)

The NASB says: and she smiles at the future.

The Holman says: and she can laugh at the time to come.

Hello. If I have seen this verse before (which I have because I’ve read Proverbs 31 a million times), I have completely passed over it.

This is definitely not my mind set. I mean, look at the list laid out before her:

She selects wool and flax and works with eager hands. She gets up while it is still dark, provides food for her family, buys a field, plants a vineyard, opens her arms to the needy and poor, makes her own bedding, speaks wisdom and faithful instruction, etc. (loosely compiled from Proverbs 31:10-31)

When I look at this, a smile doesn’t caress my lips nor a melody of lilting laughter burst forth. No, more like a grimace and gritting of the teeth and perhaps a guttural grunt like those female tennis players.

I know this is a part of how God is shaping me and I need to know what this verse means. How does this look like in real life?

I also know He will lead me and show me in His time. However, can you help me start my understanding of this verse? Do you know of women who embody this verse? Share with me your thoughts, please. I look forward to hearing from you. 

 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading. Kind comments are always welcomed!